Things To Know

If you're coming to Canada for a meeting or convention, this is the place to find all the practical resources, tools, information and tips you'll need to make your trip a memorable one. For example, find out more on:

  • Clearing customs
  • Exchanging currency
  • Reserving a rental car
  • Finding the most scenic or speedy ways to travel.

Passports & Visas

Chinese Visitors to Canada
Passports & Visas FAQ

International Visitors to Canada
International visitors to Canada (not US citizens or US permanent residents) must carry a valid passport and, if required, a visa. Citizens from the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Japan, the Republic of Korea, Australia and others do not require a visa to enter Canada. Visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website for a complete listing of countries whose citizens require visas to enter Canada.

All other visitors should contact their Canadian consulate or embassy to learn what documents are required. Contact information for Canadian embassies around the world can be found at the Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada website.

To learn more about Canadian customs regulations, visit the Canada Border Services Agency website.

Passports & Visas FAQ

1. Do I need a passport to enter Canada?
US citizens only need a document such as a birth certificate and government-issued photo identification (e.g., driver's license) to enter Canada. However, the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) requires anyone, including US citizens, entering or re-entering the United States to have a valid passport or a NEXUS card.

International visitors to Canada who are not US citizens must carry a valid passport and visa (if required). Citizens from the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Japan, the Republic of Korea, Australia and others do not require a visa to enter Canada. Visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada online for a complete listing.

2. What are the requirements for children entering Canada?

If you are mixing business with pleasure on this trip and your children are traveling with you, they must have their own valid passport or NEXUS card to enter or re-enter the United States by air (this includes newborns and infants). Divorced parents who have legal custody of the children or share custody should have copies of relevant legal documents, such as custody rights, and a letter of authorization from the other custodial parent, allowing the children to be taken out of the country. When traveling with a group of vehicles, parents or guardians should travel in the same vehicle as the children for border crossing.

3. Where can American travelers get a US passport?

First-time passport applicants need to apply in person to one of 8,000 passport acceptance facilities located throughout the United States. Applicants should bring two regulation-size photographs of themselves, proof of US citizenship and a valid form of photo identification, such as a driver's license.

US passport renewals can be done by mail if the recent passport is available to submit, is not damaged, was issued within the past 15 years and you were over age 16 when it was issued.  Applicants must either still have the same last name or can show legal proof of name change.

For detailed information about obtaining or renewing your US passport, visit the US Department of State, Passport Information Center, or access US passport application services from the United States Postal Service.

4. What is the new policy on criminal inadmissibility?

Normally, if you have been convicted of an offence, such as mischief or driving under the influence, you cannot enter Canada without a permit that has a processing fee of C$200. However, in line with Canada’s Federal Tourism Strategy, Citizenship and Immigration Canada and the Canada Border Services Agency may now make it easier for you to enter Canada.

Starting March 1, 2012, you may be able to get a temporary resident permit for one visit without having to pay the C$200 processing fee. To be considered under this policy, you must

  • have served no jail time, and
  • have committed no other acts that would prevent you from entering Canada.

Who is eligible under the new policy on criminal inadmissibility?

You may be eligible for the fee waiver if you:

  • have been convicted of an eligible offence (or its equivalent in foreign law);
  • have served no jail time;
  • have committed no other acts that would prevent you from entering Canada; and
  • are not inadmissible for any other reason.


Frequently asked questions:
Overcoming criminal inadmissibility.


For more information visit:
US Department of State
Countries Requiring Visas
Canadian Visa Offices
Canada International Website
Canada Border Services Agency